Android Recovery SD card
Variscite provides a recovery SD card image based on demo Yocto distribution that can be used to install Android demo into the internal storage of the SOM.
1 Download the recovery SD card image
Download the latest recovery SD card from Variscite's FTP server: ftp://customerv:Variscite1@ftp.variscite.com/VAR-SOM-MX6/Software/
See detailed Release Notes
2 Write the image to an SD card
Double check that the device is correct to avoid accidentally overwriting a different device and potentially damaging your existing operating system.
2.1 Using a Linux based host
Plug-in the SD card to your Linux host PC, run dmesg and see which device is added (i.e. /dev/sdX or /dev/mmcblkX)
$ sudo umount /dev/sdX?* $ zcat <image name>.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M && sync (Replace /dev/sdX with your actual device)
2.2 Using a Windows based host
- Download Win32 Disk Imager from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ and install it.
- Extract downloaded <image name>.img.gz file to get <image name>.img (using 7-Zip for example)
- Insert your SD card into your PC.
No need to format the SD card before writing the image to it, as the card will be formatted once it will be flashed.
- Run the file named Win32DiskImager.exe (in Windows 7, 8 and 10 we recommend that you right-click this file and choose “Run as administrator”).
- If the SD card (Device) you are using isn’t found automatically. Click on the drop down box and select it
- In the Image File box, choose the <image name>.img file you have extracted previously
- Click Write
- After a few minutes, you receive a notification that your SD has been created successfully.
2.3 Using a Mac OS X host
Use the dd Utility for MAC OS X to flash .img files to your SD card
3 Boot from SD card and flash the SOM's internal storage
- Power-off the board.
- Insert the SD card into the SD card slot of the carrier board (DVK)
- Make sure the Boot Mode is set to SD card: see section
- Power up the board - it will boot into Linux from the SD card
3.1 Flash from GUI
- Install Android SOLOCustomBoard: Install Android on eMMC, on VAR-SOLOCustomBoard
- Install Android MX6CB Cap: Install Android with Capacitive touch panel support on eMMC, on VAR-MX6CustomBoard
- Install Android MX6CB Res: Install Android with Resistive touch panel support on eMMC, on VAR-MX6CustomBoard
- Install Android DART: Install Android on eMMC, on VAR-DT6CustomBoard
- Install Yocto SOLOCB NAND: Install Yocto on NAND flash, on VAR-SOLOCustomBoard
- Install Yocto SOLOCB eMMC: Install Yocto on eMMC, on VAR-SOLOCustomBoard
- Install Yocto MX6CB Res NAND: Install Yocto with Resistive touch panel support on NAND flash, on VAR-MX6CustomBoard
- Install Yocto MX6CB Cap NAND: Install Yocto with Capacitive touch panel support on NAND flash, on VAR-MX6CustomBoard
- Install Yocto MX6CB Res eMMC: Install Yocto with Resistive touch panel support on eMMC, on VAR-MX6CustomBoard
- Install Yocto MX6CB Cap eMMC: Install Yocto with Capacitive touch panel support on eMMC, on VAR-MX6CustomBoard.
- Install Yocto DART (eMMC): Install Yocto on eMMC, on VAR-DT6CustomBoard
3.2 Flash from command line
- Login as root (no password)
- From Linux command line, run one of the following scripts:
$ install_android.sh - Install Android on eMMC (Follow instructions) $ install_yocto.sh - Install Yocto on eMMC or NAND flash (Follow instructions)
3.3 SD card image file tree
/opt/images/ ├── Android │ ├── SPL-mmc │ ├── SPL-nand │ ├── boot-imx6q-var-dart.img │ ├── boot-som-mx6dl-c.img │ ├── boot-som-mx6dl-r.img │ ├── boot-som-mx6q-c.img │ ├── boot-som-mx6q-r.img │ ├── boot-som-mx6q-vsc.img │ ├── boot-som-solo-c.img │ ├── boot-som-solo-r.img │ ├── boot-som-solo-vsc.img │ ├── boot-som-solo-vsc.img │ ├── recovery-imx6q-var-dart.img │ ├── recovery-som-mx6dl-c.img │ ├── recovery-som-mx6dl-r.img │ ├── recovery-som-mx6q-c.img │ ├── recovery-som-mx6q-r.img │ ├── recovery-som-mx6q-vsc.img │ ├── recovery-som-solo-c.img │ ├── recovery-som-solo-r.img │ ├── recovery-som-solo-vsc.img │ ├── system.img │ ├── u-boot-var-imx6-mmc.img │ └── u-boot-var-imx6-nand.img └── Yocto ├── SPL-nand ├── SPL-sd ├── imx6dl-var-som-cap.dtb ├── imx6dl-var-som-res.dtb ├── imx6dl-var-som-solo-cap.dtb ├── imx6dl-var-som-solo-res.dtb ├── imx6dl-var-som-solo-vsc.dtb ├── imx6dl-var-som-vsc.dtb ├── imx6q-var-dart.dtb ├── imx6q-var-som-cap.dtb ├── imx6q-var-som-res.dtb ├── imx6q-var-som-vsc.dtb ├── rootfs.tar.bz2 ├── rootfs_128kbpeb.ubi ├── rootfs_256kbpeb.ubi ├── u-boot.img-nand ├── u-boot.img-sd └── uImage
The install_android.sh and install_yocto.sh script files are located at /usr/bin/