Debian Development Environment
Supported Linux Distributions
We recommend using Ubuntu 64-bit on a powerful physical PC (though using a virtual machine is also possible):
For Debian 9 and below, use either Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 64-bit.
For Debian 10 and above, use either Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 64-bit.
Furthermore, Windows with WSL/WSL2 is not supported for development.
Installing Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit in VMWare Player
There are many tutorials on the web. For example:
VMware player recommended settings
- Set the number of CPUs to the maximum possible.
- Set the memory size to at least 8GB.
- Set the disk size to be at least 200GB. 300GB is better.
- Use Bridge for networking.
- Install the VMWare tools.
- If you have an extra hard drive you can use it as a physical partition and set you home directory to it.
- Update Ubuntu right after the first login.
Using a docker container
Variscite provides Docker containers that can be used for a development environment as an alternative to using a virtual machine or a dedicated computer.
To learn more, please see Variscite's Docker Build Environment guide.